• The UN headquarters in New York has seen some powerful and distinguished figures pass through its doors over the years and the elderly southern American gentleman dressed in the white suit at first glance seemed to be one of them. But after officials took a second look they soon realised that the man in question was actually Colonel Harland Sanders, of KFC fame (or, more accurately, a Colonel Sanders impersonator, for the real Colonel Sanders died in 1980). The impersonator reportedly even managed to pose in a picture with Libyan Ali Treki, the new president of the UN General Assembly, before he was tossed out. It was all apparently part of a new promotional campaign by KFC which has also included the company asking for an official seat at the UN. UN officials were not amused.
• Wallace and Gromit would think it was a cracking invention! A team of designers have come up with an automatic breakfast machine which can do everything from preparing an omelette to spreading butter and jam on toast and grinding coffee beans before making a fresh brew. The machine has reportedly been built in Amsterdam.
• Ever wanted to direct and star in your own version of Star Wars? A website - Star Wars Uncut - offers the chance to do just that - it’s split the entire movie into 15 second clips and is calling on people to film their own version to fill one of the 472 gaps. The film will then be spliced together to create a single homage to George Lucas’ original creation. Better be quick, may of the scenes are already done.
And just before we go,
• Looking for something to buy for the person who’s got everything? Harrods in London have announced they will now be selling bars of gold bullion to customers.
• Who could have predicted that a pitch-black art installation at the Tate Modern in London would lead to someone walking into a wall? Anyway, that’s what reportedly happened at an exhibition earlier this month. The injured man apparently just walked away with some blood on his nose.